- Grape Varieties: Malmsey
- Vinification: Cossart Gordon 15 year old Malmsey underwent fermentation off the skins with natural yeast at between 18°C - 21°C in temperature controlled stainless steel tanks. After approximately 48 hours, fortification with grape brandy takes place, arresting fermentation at the desired degree of sweetness.
- Maturation: Cossart Gordon 15 year old Malmsey was aged in American oak casks in the traditional ‘Canteiro’ system. This comprises of the gentle heating of the wine in the lofts of the lodges in Funchal. Over the years the wine is transferred from the top floors to the middle floors and eventually to the ground floor where it is cooler. After this gradual ‘estufagem’ the wine underwent racking and fining before the blend was assembled and bottled.
- Specification: Alcohol: 19% ABV pH: 3.6 Residual Sugar: 120 g/l Total Acidity: 6.9 g/l tartaric acid
- Serving & Cellarage: Cossart Gordon 15 year old Malmsey is fined and does not require decanting. It is a superb accompaniment to dessert dishes, especially fruit, cakes, rich chocolate puddings and cheeses. It has been bottled when ready for drinking and will keep for several months after opening.
- Tasting Notes: Lovely chestnut colour with a fine golden rim. Characteristic Madeira bouquet of dried fruits, toffee, vanilla and oak. Sweet, very rich, smooth and full-bodied. A long aftertaste with notes of spicy oak and dark chocolate.
Gold Medal – IWC 1997