- Grape Varieties: Bual
- Vineyards: Various quality vineyards at Campanário and Calheta at altitudes between 100 and 300m.
- Vinification: Cossart Gordon 5 year old Bual underwent fermentation off the skins with natural yeast at between 18°C - 21°C in temperature controlled stainless steel tanks. After approximately 3 days, fortification with grape brandy takes place, arresting fermentation at the desired degree of sweetness.
- Maturation: Cossart Gordon 5 year old Bual was aged in American oak casks in the traditional ‘Canteiro’ system. This comprises of the gentle heating of the wine in the lofts of the lodges in Funchal. Over the years the wine is transferred from the top floors to the middle floors and eventually to the ground floor where it is cooler. After this gradual ‘estufagem’ the wine underwent racking and fining before the blend was assembled and bottled.
- Specification: Alcohol: 19% ABV pH: 3.45 Residual Sugar: 85.0 g/l Total Acidity: 6.5 g/l tartaric acid
- Serving & Cellarage: Cossart Gordon 5 year old Bual is fined and does not require decanting. It is excellent as an after dinner drink and also very good with fruit, milk chocolate, cakes and hard cheeses. It has been bottled when ready for drinking and will keep for several months after opening.
- Tasting Notes: Clear, amber colour with tinges of gold; a bouquet of dried fruit, vanilla, wood and toffee with a smooth, medium-sweet finish and an excellent balance between the fruit and acidity.
- Press Comments:
“Medium amber with a restrained aroma of nuts, coffee and chocolate and even a hint of olives as the wine opens up. The flavours amplify these aromas, with the addition of subtle, tangy lime quality to offset the sweetness of the wine.”
Lyn Farmer - The Wine News, March 2001
Silver medal – IWC 1999
Bronze Medal – IWC 2003